RE: Coworker who won't take no for an answer

Subject: RE: Coworker who won't take no for an answer
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>, Techwr-L List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:01:57 -0400

Ned Bedinger wrote (in small part):

> Anyway, I worked with a guy like that--a major software engineering
> talent at a major software vendor. He had the full geek complement of
> amateur radio equipment in his office. He was dimly aware of others.
> His idea of the best way to put a co-worker at ease about his ethnicity
> was to use every racial profile, cliche, and epithet when talking to him.
> Hearing him spew that way (in the workplace!!) was unbelievable, but his
> job was never in jeopardy. It was just understood that the employer
> reserved the right to hire capabilities, without conventional regard for
> normative social abilities. HR's response to complaints about him was
> "Close your office door if he bothers you."

Further confirmation that the role of an HR department is to protect the
interests of the company. If his behavior had a medical or organic cause,
dismissing him would potentially expose the company to legal action
under the Americans with Disabilities Act. And retaining him had obvious
benefit for the company if he was as talented as you say.

Fred Ridder

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/