Re: Poll: Is technical writing a sellout or fallback career?

Subject: Re: Poll: Is technical writing a sellout or fallback career?
From: "Tom Johnson" <tomjohnson1492 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:04:27 -0600

Just to provide a little background on the poll question, why I would ask
that, etc. -- I was asked by a colleague to give a presentation about
technical writing to a group of college students. He said most of the
students are Writing or Literature majors who have aspirations to write
novels, teach literature, join publishing agencies, become book editors,
etc. For these students, the thought of becoming a "technical writer" seems
a bit of a sellout to their original literary aspirations. Rather than
churning out the great American novel, and thus fulfilling their life's
purpose, a career in technical writing would lock them into dry procedural
writing, akin to what they find in their VCR manual. It's like an
oil-painting artist quitting the canvas and taking up to house painting
instead.

Sure, technical writing is something they could do ... if they were starving
and had no other way to pay the bills. So I'm tasked with trying to convince
them otherwise, because the college administration knows that such idealism
will surely end in poverty and frustration. The college wants to prepare
them with skills for a career that will give them financial sustainability.
I blogged about it here: 14 Widespread Myths about Technical
Writing<http://www.idratherbewriting.com/2008/06/26/myths-myths-myths-about-technical-writing/>
.

Tom

--