RE: Online storage?

Subject: RE: Online storage?
From: "Jerry Kindall" <j -dot- kindall -at- tecplot -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 08:40:07 -0700

Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net> writes:

> I now have the problem that usually whatever I want to work on
> is on the other computer. Also, having them both running simply to
share
> files between them once in a while seems like a waste of energy. ...
> I am considering using an online "server" where I could store
> all my file and have access to them from either laptop, and from
> anywhere else, too, that has online access.

I've been beta-testing Dropbox (http://www.getdropbox.com/) and like it
quite a bit. It's been pretty reliable despite the beta status.

It actually synchronizes your files among your subscribed PCs in
addition to storing them on a remote server, so if the remote server
does go away the worst you might have is some hassle figuring out which
of your machines has the latest version of each file. They also give
you Web-based access to your files, and they have both Mac and Windows
sync clients. You can also share files from your dropbox with others
(either specific people you designate, or with the public).

Testers get 2GB of space. They haven't decided on pricing yet, but the
service is free during the beta period.

I do have a few beta invitations left if anyone wants to try it out.
(Nancy, I'll reserve one for you if you want.)

--
Jerry Kindall, SDK Technical Writer
Tecplot Inc. <http://www.tecplot.com/>

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/