RE: Quick and Dirty Online Help tool (Freeware?) needed

Subject: RE: Quick and Dirty Online Help tool (Freeware?) needed
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Hemstreet, Deborah" <DHemstreet -at- kaydon -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:00:40 -0600

Hemstreet, Deborah wrote:

> I am doing some documents (work instructions) in Word 2003.
>
> I would like to try something different and have these files fed into
> something that could spit out a quick and dirty help file. The idea
> would be that if the PTB (powers that be), like the idea, I could then
> have them purchase a tool (hopefully not a costly one as this is not a
> project requiring all the bells and whistles of the 21st centry, they
> only got their first computer 10 years ago, and most people here still
> work in Word like a typewriter)... But I digress.
>
> Could anyone suggest a tool that I could use to try to get the idea
> through the PTB?

Is this help intended for Windows PCs only? If so, you can create HTML
Help (a .chm file) with just Word and Microsoft's free HTML Help
Workshop (using Word as your HTML editor; alternatively, export the
contents from Word to some other HTML editor).

The online help for HTML Help Workshop is pretty good, and explains
everything from creating the project file, TOC, Index, etc. (you can do
all these in the built-in text editor) to compiling the help. It's a
more manual process than using the big and expensive help authoring
tools (you set project options, window sizes, etc., by editing text
files), but for a small demonstration project, it should be just what
you need.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs