RE: OT: health insurance for individuals?

Subject: RE: OT: health insurance for individuals?
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'voxwoman'" <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'Rob Hudson'" <caveatrob -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:10:34 -0700

> From: voxwoman

> The best thing to do is get the insurance while you are still
> covered under
> another policy.

That is not a complete statement. Individuals cannot get insurance for
themselves while they still have access under an employer's scheme. I
recommended getting a job that provides insurance, maintaining coverage for
the time required by the insurance company for individual coverage, and then
quitting the job. Also, COBRA benefits must be expired in many cases for
individual insurance coverage.

> Otherwise you've got a waiting period where
> pre-existing
> conditions are not covered at all (sometimes as long as 2
> years). Continuous
> coverage, even with different companies, lets you carry over your
> preexisting condition (I think that's a Federal law - maybe
> part of COBRA).

...in the gap between ineligibility from previous insurance to coverage with
new insurance, from what I've read on the applications.

> The second best thing to do is to make yourself a business
> and get small
> business insurance. It's generally cheaper than individual
> insurance.

That's true and I forgot about that option. Carriers in my area require at
least one employee who does not have coverage elsewhere.

Lauren

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/