Re: Do FrameMaker Trial Version Still Cause Some Problems?

Subject: Re: Do FrameMaker Trial Version Still Cause Some Problems?
From: Gary Schnabl <gSchnabl -at- LivernoisYards -dot- com>
To: "Lippincott, Richard" <RLippincott -at- as-e -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:27:36 -0400

Lippincott, Richard wrote:
> I seem to recall a couple of years ago at least one person on list
> reported installing one of the 30-day trial versions of Frame,
> apparently an upgrade to the version he was already running on his
> system. He decided it to let it run out without purchase...and when it
> did, it managed to also deactivate his registered version of Frame.
>

> We're considering an upgrade from 7 to 8, but before I download and
> install it on my system I'd like to be sure that a month from today I'll
> still be able to use 7 if we opt not to do the upgrade.
>

> Thanks...
>

> By the way, I'm on digest so if you've got a follow-up question, please
> aim it directly at me.
>

> Rick Lippincott
> Technical Writer
> AS&E*
> American Science & Engineering
> 829 Middlesex Turnpike
> Billerica, MA 01821-3907
> 978-262-8807 (direct)
> 978-495-2335 (mobile)
> 978-262-8702 (fax)

About a year ago, I tried the 30-day evaluation of FM8 on my Vista
system. It worked for a couple days, and then it would not get past the
evaluation screen without crashing. Adobe "tech support" refused to help
because they said they do not help users with evaluation software--even
installation problems, so it seems. Instead, their kludge for a 30-day
"evaluation" would be to purchase FM 8 and ask for a refund before the
30 days was up.

Anyway, I either uninstalled or left (cannot remember which) the dead FM
8 on my system and resumed using FM 7.0 (BTW, which isn't supposed to
run on Vista, according to Adobe). FM 7.0 seems to work the same on
Vista as it did on XP Professional, except for one possible problem. If
I take too much time selecting something on Vista, FM 7.0 will crash,
necessitating an abort via the Task Manager and an ordinary restart. I
do not remember if XP Pro had that problem.

Perhaps, I might spend the $300 to upgrade to FM 8, but haven't decided yet.

As long as your FM 7 is properly registered, I would suppose that Adobe
customer service would help get you restarted again. In my case, I have
made copies of my installer on a hard drive and a DVD backup disk.
Reinstalling FM 7.0 onto two different primary computers the past three
years worked fine for me.

Gary Schnabl
Detroit

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/