Re: master's degrees

Subject: Re: master's degrees
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 18:14:09 -0700

It's been almost 35 years since I got my undergraduate
degree, but I don't recall my college making much of an
effort at all to "sell" the graduate program to us. In
addition to setting admissions requirements for the
advanced degree programs that were far in excess of
the requirements to graduate with a bachelors, we were
told that while having a Masters might open up some
career paths that an undergraduate degree might not,
it would likely take 10 years or more for any increased
earning potential that might come with it to make up for
the salaries we were not earning while getting the degree.
A friend who signed up for a doctorate program was
told that she would probably *never* make up the lost
income from the time that would be required to acquire
her PhD.

Gene Kim-Eng