RE: WaH

Subject: RE: WaH
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: <arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:25:21 -0400

Arroxane wrote:

" I also don't pass around silly emails (on the company email server!) or
sit around the kitchen drinking beer.

What's annoying is three of our developers are 100% remote. Why aren't they
scrutinized?"

You're not supposed to sit around and drink beer while working remote?
Dang...where was that in the employee handbook?

Actually, I work nearly 75% remote and I find my days out of the office are
longer and more productive than in the office. My staff also works remote.
This is not to say that I haven't consumed a brewski or two while working,
but it's after 6 pm and I am very careful to not pad the hours. The last
thing you want to do is ruin your reputation and loose trust. The key is to
always make your deadlines with incredibly good materials, or have a
legitimate excuse why you didn't meet the deadline (like they redesigned the
product a week before it was due to ship and didn't tell anyone).

Al Geist
Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
Website: www.geistassociates.com
See Also:
Fine Art Photography
Website: www.geistimages.com

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/