Sorry, I missed that...

Subject: Sorry, I missed that...
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:01:28 -0400

I've been seeing threads in which the OP eventually thanks some people
for their responses, and I never actually received list mail containing
those responses.

My first thought is that I'll have to check the spam summary that night,
to see if the thread responses were nabbed on the way to my inbox, as
false-positive hits. That's almost never the case.

My next thought is that people replied privately to the OP and then the
OP didn't publish the solution.

Today, it's a mix. Sarah posted a query about using RoboHelp X5, then
three hours later posted a thank you, quoting Paul. She did include
Paul's message, which consisted of a URL, but even that might be
troublesome. After all, Paul's message (as quoted) seemed to have been
sent only privately to Sarah, which means that Sarah posted private mail
to a public list. Naughty. :-)

On the third hand, I often receive replies direct to me, that are also
echoed to the list separately, so maybe others of you saw Paul's
original reply, but it never reached me (don't know why...).

How do other folks deal with this situation of knowing that you are
missing some stuff, but not knowing what it might be, or how much it
might be, or why?

- Kevin

PS: Our corporate mail screening is multi-layered, and we see only the
final two layers - stuff that legitimately gets through to the in-box
and stuff that the early layers couldn't handle, but the semi-final
layer withheld, while providing a summary for manual approval.

or disclosing it.

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/