Vista System maintenance (was Upgrade computer Was (Re: "budget" laptop?)

Subject: Vista System maintenance (was Upgrade computer Was (Re: "budget" laptop?)
From: "Kathleen MacDowell" <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 12:49:39 -0500

You've all been a huge help with your suggestions, so if you have some
Vista experience, I'd appreciate any other comments re the following:

I'm in a recursive process right now, which started out as an attempt
to use a demo copy of Flare. Flare needed Flash, Flash needed Windows
.net (or something), .net wouldn't install till I installed XP service
pack 2 (which I cannot find at the download site) and on and on. In
the meantime, my system decided it needed to update too (twice), so I
haven't actually accomplished much in the last couple of days. But I
did disable Aero, and started looking into defragging, clearing out
temp files, and cleaning the registry.

Here's where the questions come in:

Do I clear out the Temp folder at C//Windows/Temp or is there a
different folder?

Where is the registry I need to clean? Cannot find.

Can I clear the logs in the Computer Management directory at System
Tools/Event Viewer/Windows Logs? They are using up about 35 MB. I
suspect they might be part of the MS customer participation program (I
haven't signed up)

I did find the defragmenter, and it was already set up to do an
automatic defrag once a week.

I hope this doesn't sound silly to anyone, but I once ruined a
perfectly good OS by a panic delete one time, so I'm very cautious
about what I do about the system.

All suggestions highly appreciated. I hope your work is abundant and
your weekend is free!!!!!

Regards,

Kathleen

--