Re: "and then," or simply "then"?

Subject: Re: "and then," or simply "then"?
From: "Tom Johnson" <tomjohnson1492 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:37:53 -0600

I've seen a lot of variations with this, and I think all are acceptable.

"Click Gimfratz, then click the display to add new locations." If the two
independent clauses are short, you can use a comma rather than a semicolon.
It's a gray area here.

"Click Gimfratz, and then click the display to add new locations." In this
style, the comma after Gimfratz is allowed because the two independent
clauses are implied. [You] click Gimfratz, and then [you] click the display
to add new locations.

"Click Gimfratz. Then click the display to add new locations." This works
too. But if the two actions are closely related (for example, if clicking
Gimfratz brings up a pop-up window with other selections), you might want to
put the two actions in the same sentence.

My preference is for the MS style (in the middle) because it emphasizes the
different steps.

Tom
blog: http://idratherbewriting.com

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/