Embedding HTML Help (CHM) into application

Subject: Embedding HTML Help (CHM) into application
From: Frank Dissinger <frank -dot- dissinger -at- cgs-oris -dot- com>
To: TechWrite List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 08:32:25 +0200

Hi list,

Is it possible to embed a Microsoft HTML Help (*.CHM file) topic into an
C++ application window?

I'd like to improve the accessibility of our help systems. My idea is to
implement a dedicated panel to the right of the application window which
can be opened and closed like a drawer. This drawer would automatically
and instantly display the help topic related to the dialog object that
has the focus. It should just display the topic text, not the TOC, menu
bar, title bar, etc. of the HTML help window.

I could create my help system as individual HTML files which would be
displayed in an HTML control within the application window. But the
embedded help should be provided in addition to the CMH help file and I
do not want to include two separate help systems in our software kit.
The embedded help window should just be another way of accessing the
same help file. I don't like to create a WebHelp system either, because
these systems use JavaScript for implementing TOC and search function,
and Scripts are sometimes slow and error prone.

Regards, Frank

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/