Re: How do you conduct live software training workshops properly

Subject: Re: How do you conduct live software training workshops properly
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:17:19 -0600

On Monday, September 22, 2008, Daniel Ng wrote:

> How do you do it, to keep the class in order and in pace? Or should I
> just use an exploratory method, give a training guide, and the role of
> a trainer is just to facilitate following the instructions on paper.

> Or to demonstrate live on a projector in one fell swoop, and then get
> them to repeat much later on...then do a gate review...

In our training classes we teach both hardware & software. When we get to the software part,
we have a fairly simple exercise, such as "write a program that measures X & Y, and store
one minute averages of X & Y". The instructor walks the class through the short program,
explaining each step along the way.

The next exercise uses the first as a basis -- "write a program that measures X, Y & Z, and
store one minute averages and five minute averages". Depending upon how much everyone
"got it" the first go around, the instructor likely works through the problem minimally (perhaps
just covering "Z" and the "five minute averages" and letting the students do the rest on their
own).

There'll be a third exercise that adds to this with less direction from the instructor (instructor
walks around and provides individual help), and eventually an opportunity for them to work
completely on their own.

However, depending upon what you are teaching, this may be more than 55 minutes :) It is
essentially a different take on "tell them what you are going to tell them, tell them, and then
tell them again" :)

And there's really no way to get around the fact that some people will be wizzes, some your
ideal target audience, and some barely able to work the mouse.

:) Dana W.

Dana Worley
Software Product Manager/Manager, Software Support Group
Campbell Scientific, Inc.
Microsoft MVP, Windows Help

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/