RE: Pointing device question

Subject: RE: Pointing device question
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Steven Gaghan" <sgaghan12 -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:19:25 -0600

Steven Gaghan wrote:

> Will any screen shots/images be included in the documentation? If so,
you
> can eliminate all confusion by including a screen shot with a callout
> the
> "trackball."
>
> Either way, I think using the term "trackball" is fine.

Um, the trackball isn't on the _screen_, it's on the keyboard.

But that reminds me of a thought I had, but didn't get around to
posting. I agree that "trackball" is the right term if you need to refer
to the pointing device itself. And since it and its keyboard are part of
the medical device (and not up to the user to choose/provide), you
should mention the trackball itself at least initially for the benefit
of those not familiar with it.

After that, though, when you're telling people what to do on-screen, you
should refer to the _pointer_ on the _screen_, not the device with which
you manipulate it. "Move the pointer/arrow/hand/needle to X and click."

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.