Understanding what "how it works" means

Subject: Understanding what "how it works" means
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 11:26:27 +1000

I was called into a discussion between a lead programmer and a manager from
corporate finance. My role was to help scope the user assistance requirement
for an enhancement to our accounting system that will support the submission
and approval of travel expense claims by company executives.

The following exchange ensued.

LP = Lead Programmer

AM = Accounting Manager

AM: [Looking at me.] The users will need to know how it works.

LP: No, they won't.

AM: Yes, they will.

LP: No, they won't

AM: Yes, they will.

LP: It's like when you buy a car. Do you need to know how it works?

AM: Yes, you do.

LP: No, you don't

AM: Yes, you do.

Me: The users will need a very high-level overview
of the whole process, plus details about what

THEY need to do to make it happen.

BOTH LP and AM, triumphantly: Yes, that's right!

They both felt vindicated. And they were both right. The problem was simply
that they had different ideas about what the "it" refers to in "how it
works". The Lead Programmer thought it meant "how the software works." He's
right--users don't need to know or care to know the engineering details. The
Accounting Manager thought it meant "how users perform their part of the
process."

This sort of misunderstanding happens all the time. When someone says
"explain how it works", it is impossible to understand their intended
meaning without considering both the speaker and the audience. For a
technical audience, "how it works" means engineering details. For a business
audience, "how it works" means a how-to for users.

This is also why I have always disliked the word "documentation." Without
explicit modifiers and delimiters, the word is invariably accompanied by
confusion and misunderstanding. Too often, a load of useless verbiage,
padded out with pointless screen shots, gets fobbed off onto the users under
the label "documentation."

--

Mike West

Melbourne, Australia