RE: Booklets or anything saddle-stitched

Subject: RE: Booklets or anything saddle-stitched
From: "Victoria Wroblewski" <victoria -dot- wroblewski -at- eagletest -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 13:19:49 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: McLauchlan, Kevin
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 12:30 PM
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Subject: Booklets or anything saddle-stitched

For small-volume, as-needed, the factory worker will be doing the doc on
a laser printer, so the layout must work to make the pages come together
properly - all right-side-up and properly paginated when nested and
stapled.

For larger volumes, an employee of a third-party printing services
company would have access to automatic imposition software that would
accept a standard sequentially paged book file (PDF) and take care of
creating the signatures for whatever paper size they preferred.

Doing printed, in-box manuals as recently as last year, we sent ours to
the overseas factory and they hammered out all the "professional"
printing details. (Quotes used because sometimes the proofs we got back
were... errr.... interesting...)

But, we occasional had to create mock-ups or documents that could be
printed directly from a standard printer. These were usually nothing
more than 4-8 pages.

For professional printing, we just sent the PDF file. If we needed to
create a "print from an office printer" doc, we'd just go the extra step
of creating the standard PDF file and then using InDesign to import each
page of the PDF and create the document all properly laid out for an
office printer.

Yes, it is some extra steps, but we found it best for the situation. If
you're going to keep the "for the office printer" jobs small, it
shouldn't be too much of a problem. You can quickly do a "for the
office printer" PDF of a small document, it's when you get into 20+
pages that it can become a pain in the bleep.

- V

**This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.**

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/