!RE: injecting a little whimsy into grey text

Subject: !RE: injecting a little whimsy into grey text
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: <john -at- garisons -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 10:01:45 -0400

john -at- garisons -dot- com scribbled:

> I always liked to use my name as well as the names of others in the
group.
> Not only was it a little bit subversive to do so, it also indicated
that
> you actually did work on the document if you used it for a portfolio
> piece.

I'm not about to put my full name in company docs (don't want somebody
to use that for the correct spelling on a lawsuit... badump-bump-tsh!
).

Earlier in my career, I'd have expected my given name in the text to be
sufficient as an indication that I'd, indeed, written my own docs.
However, cycles happen, and my name came around some years back as a
good name for kilotons, perhaps even megatons of babies. So now, every
third twenty-five-year-old male seems to be named Kevin............
dammit.

Worse, it's remained fairly popular, so I'm constantly being addressed
in public, only to realize, after beginning to respond, that it's
actually the unruly toddler in the cereal aisle who's getting a
talking-to from Mommy.

People named John have learned, from almost the cradle, that the world
is full of others with their name, so there's a whole set of modified
reflexes and damped responses that they develop in their impressionable
years. Those of us who had less common names never developed the
facility for screening out public occurrences of them. I think it's
like language. There's an age window in which it comes easily. After
that, you can still do it, but with far less facility.

.... s'cuse me, somebody just called my name....

- Kevin
or disclosing it.

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/