File conversion services - UK

Subject: File conversion services - UK
From: "Sarah Blake" <Sarah -dot- Blake -at- microfocus -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:15:17 +0100

Just in case anyone has any personal recommendations...

I'm looking to outsource my current Hideous Project of Doom, which is
converting a bunch of files from a custom format relying on an outdated
technology (MediaView) to either HTML or (preferably) XML. The files
are technically in RTF, but with a lot of custom tags (I've included a
sample of the horror below).

I'm essentially looking for someone to write scripts, batch files etc to
convert the files from RTF to XML/HTML, correctly interpreting at least
some of the custom tags on the way (for example, attaching the correct
headings to the correct subheadings, or turning lines marked with '{ewc
MVIMG, MVIMG13, [FILENAME=!bullet.bmp]}' into actual bulleted lists).

If anyone in the UK has had experience with using external contractors
to convert files, now is the time to give me your recommendations or
warnings!

S.

Sample of the horror:

# $ K ! + Overview of the Hatstand Process

Hatstand requires you to specify:

{ewc MVIMG, MVIMG13, [FILENAME=!bullet.bmp]} The first Widget to point
at

{ewc MVIMG, MVIMG13, [FILENAME=!bullet.bmp]} The method for converting
Foo to Bar

{ewc MVIMG, MVIMG13, [FILENAME=!bullet.bmp]} The exact location of the
asylum you want to spend the rest of your life in after dealing with
these files.

Sarah Blake
Senior Technical Author
Micro Focus

sarah -dot- blake -at- microfocus -dot- com <mailto:sarah -dot- blake -at- microfocus -dot- com>
The Lawn, 22-30 Old Bath Road
Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 1QN, UK
Direct: +44 1635 56 5651
Fax: +44 1635 33966

# Overview_of_transfer_configuration

$ Overview of transfer configuration

K AS/400 file transfer; file transfer, AS/400; transferring AS/400 files

! LaunchPad(Introducing_AS400_file_transfer)

+ ASD

Micro Focus Limited is registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 01504593
Registered office: The Lawn, 22-30 Old Bath Road Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 1QN, UK

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/