Dumb Quotes or Smart Quotes

Subject: Dumb Quotes or Smart Quotes
From: "Zen C" <zenizenc -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:45:55 -0400

Hi,

I upgraded from RoboHelp x5 to version 7 and realized that it was not
smart enough to recognize the smart quotes and replaced it with
garbage. I fixed all of it,with a search and replace only to realize
that both opening and closing quotes are the same. Shouldn't RoboHelp
be smart enough to change the quotes to opening and closing quotes?

Anyways, since it didn't work and the quotes don't seem to have a html
tag like &ldquo, &lrsquo etc..to search and replace, I replaced
everything with dumb quotes. Are dumb quotes an accepted format in
technical documentation?

For ppl who are planning to convert to RoboHelp 7, please be aware
that if you upgrade that this happens and Adobe is aware of it. I
truly hope that no one has to g through what I went through in having
to go through thousands of files to fix the corrupted files.

Zen

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/