Re: What Program Do You Use for Software Documentation?

Subject: Re: What Program Do You Use for Software Documentation?
From: "CL T" <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 12:35:32 -0600

Are you creating Help documentation? Manuals? Any/Everything?

Madcap Flare and (I believe) later RoboHelp both handle/write XML. Since I'm
working with an archaic version of RoboHelp (the upgrade's in the works), I
don't know for sure.

In this particular company I use InDesign CS3 for all documentation (with
occasional RoboHelp). I appreciate ID CS3's power, it's improvements over ID
CS2 (especially with Long Document handling and lists). I cannot say,
however, that it's a great program for a Tech Writer. If you are planning on
getting down and dirty with the layout/design aspects of writing, it's
great! If you want to push out documentation quickly and efficiently? It's
not the right tool.

It has been a great experience to add the software to my catalog. So I won't
complain too much.

-Collin Turner
Tech Writer, Screencaster, Writer
www.collinturner.com