RE: Some questions from a grad student about careers in technical writing

Subject: RE: Some questions from a grad student about careers in technical writing
From: "Sean Brierley" <sbrierley -at- Accu-Time -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:27:10 -0400

Hi

Here goes. (Who's Gretchen?)

-----Original Message-----
From: techwr-l-bounces+sbrierley=accu-time -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
[mailto:techwr-l-bounces+sbrierley=accu-time -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On
Behalf Of Tom Johnson
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:18 PM
To: Techwr-l
Subject: Some questions from a grad student about careers in technical
writing

A grad student in technical writing (Gretchen) asked me some questions
for an assignment and needs a response sometime this evening. I don't
have time, but I thought someone on this list might want to respond. You
can either respond in writing or by phone.

Here are the questions:

1. What steps do you take when writing a document?

A recursive process that ends when the project ends, product ships,
money runs out, or another project comes along and takes resources: 1)
planning*, 2) writing, 3) revising/editing.

* Includes audience assessment, task assessment ... outlining the
document
*** includes revising/editing the plan

2. How do time and budget limitations affect your writing?
Well, budget not so much unless the job is being done by a contractor,
then a lot. Time is a key element that drives quality, accuracy, and all
stages of the process, including writing and revising/editing.

3. How much time do you spend writing?
Depends on what is available and what the document is, and if you
consider editing/revising a separate step. Of the items listed above,
20-40%.

4. How and when do you revise and edit documents?
Depends what you mean. While a project is ongoing, revision and editing
takes place at the same time as writing. After a document is put to bed,
it depends on the mechanisms in place for feedback, such as bug
tracking, requests from support, et al., and also the need to
incorporate changes in the object of the documentation.

5. How did you acquire the skills you use for your job? Did you take
classes or have on-the-job training, etc.?

Apprenticeship. I had a B.A. in English, but on-the-job training and
discovery was the main ingredient.

6. What steps did you take to get to the position you are in now?

I applied and was better than the other guy. (Not sure I understand the
question.)

You can email her at gretchen -dot- hollis -at- att -dot- net or call 817.889.2907. (She
gave me permission to forward the info.)

Cheers,

Sean

http://www.doctohelp.com