RE: The case against M$ Word

Subject: RE: The case against M$ Word
From: "Stephen Arrants" <steve -at- mbfbioscience -dot- com>
To: "Stuart Burnfield" <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:14:19 -0400

> So I don't buy the argument that Frame is good for huge companies but
> overkill for smaller enterprises, or, for that matter, the other
> argument
> that Word is good for small documents but falls apart on long documents.
> It's just a question of putting in the effort to set things up
> correctly.

I agree 100%!

> I still *prefer* Frame, because I feel that with Frame you learn how to
> do
> things and with Word you have to learn how to work around problems.
> But you do whatever the job requires, and often that means Word.

It's strange. I think Frame's reputation as tough to learn actually helps. In a way, it forces people to take it slowly, actually learn its features, its quirks, and workarounds. My gut feeling is that folks are *much* more forgiving of Frame's limitations than they are of Word's. But with Word, sine it is on nearly every PC, people may think that there is no (or a small) learning curve. A good deal of the time, the errors that folks have can be traced to not learning how Word works, how to use it properly, and what things they need to be aware of with Styles or Lists or [your pet peeve here].

There are one or two list members I ignore when they post queries about their Word problems. I've tried to tell them what the problem is and how to avoid it in the future, suggesting a Que or O'Reilly book that would help in the future. Suggestions ignored.

--
Steve Arrants   steve -at- mbfbioscience -dot- com
Writer

http://www.doctohelp.com