Re: Grammar gurus: I have a question

Subject: Re: Grammar gurus: I have a question
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 08:33:17 +1100

There most certainly is a US/UK difference on this use of the subjunctive,
as I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread.

This has led some observers to speak of the "disappearing subjunctive" in
Britain among educated speakers and writers.

A growing tendency to use the indicative verb ("I suggest that he is
fired") where traditional grammar prescribes the subjunctive ("I suggest
that he be fired") is also mirrored in Australian usage. I'm not sure of the
state of play in Canada.

In the US, usage handbooks, as well as educated usage, come down very firmly
in the ""I suggest that he be fired" camp.

In Britain, the issue is not nearly as clear cut, with many arguing that
this use of the subjunctive is archaic.

To those of us raised on traditional grammar rules, this new-fangled
indicative substitution just sounds wrong. More precisely, it sounds like
hypercorrection by timid speakers who have no idea what "subjunctive" refers
to.

--
Mike West
(US expat in Australia)