Online Training for Business Analysts

Subject: Online Training for Business Analysts
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:19:38 -0600 (CST)

Pursuant to our threads about online training and career transitions, I
have a question for those of you who have sometimes worked as business
analysts, or those who are considering making such a move: Are you
familiar with Villanova University's online courses in this area?

http://www.villanovau.com/Home/MasterCert.aspx?CourseId=45

In general, having seen these course listings, do you think they would
help strengthen your credentials to do BA work? They certainly seem to,
according to their descriptions, but have you learned anything in your
professional travels that would indicate that such courses would or
would not impress a hiring manager?

I know some folks have managed to make the migration simply by
emphasizing the way that their tech writing background has equipped them
to do BA work, and maybe they've had projects where they have been able
to stretch their wings. I have always been a writer first and foremost,
and I can't say I've ever been called on to do needs analysis or any
other kind of higher-level analysis. I need to bolster my credentials
before I would feel comfortable putting myself out there as a BA.

$5,300 doesn't seem like much to engineer a major career improvement, so
I am leaning toward taking these courses. But, I don't have $5,300 to
throw away on a misguided project.

Thoughts?

--Nancy

http://www.doctohelp.com