Re: Is there a study on reading warnings, notes?

Subject: Re: Is there a study on reading warnings, notes?
From: Deborah Hemstreet <deborah -dot- hemstreet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Shannon Wade <SWade -at- daktronics -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 19:36:19 -0500

Hi Shannon,

I can understand the reasoning. I think that how you handle this is
going to depend on the types of warnings. For serious safety issues, I
would go for maximum redundancy and have them a minimum of twice - once
in the special section, and once in the associated instructions where
the problem could actually occur. I don't know if there have been
studies done on this, but based on the reading behavior I have observed,
people just do not want to read... so if you have it all in that
chapter, the readers will be happy until they get to instructions and
have an accident... they will say "you didn't tell me", you will say,
"why didn't you read the first chapter," and their lawyer will say, "how
hard would it have been to put it in with the instructions as well."

The judge? Given the American court system, I believe the judge would
find for the plaintiff....

Just some thoughts for consideration as you approach the redo.

Deborah

http://www.doctohelp.com