RE: A dark take on Tech Writing...do you agree?

Subject: RE: A dark take on Tech Writing...do you agree?
From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 14:40:00 -0600

Well, yes, caring whether you're doing a job right can reasonably be assumed to be a requirement of any job, whether or not it's a career. However, I think maybe the reason I didn't care more about doing the job right was because I didn't see it as a career.

From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>

I don't think it's about working to the point of collapse. Rather, it's
about the level of commitment you have.

As I think I said before, I worked as a professional catalog librarian
for awhile and got canned. I think the big beef the powers that be had
against me was that I treated it more like a job than a career -- or a
"profession." Here's one specific instance of what was wring with my
attitude. I tended to make a lot of clerical errors that required that
books came back to be to be redone. I should have been more upset about
that and actively not wanted it to happen, but it never bothered me as
much as it should have because I knew I had to work 8 hours a day in any
case, so what did it matter if I was working on new books or redoing
books that I'd messed up on the first go-round. I remember thinking that
if they told me I could only work on new books during the day and had to
stay extra hours to redo books, that would have made me be moiré
careful. But I should have been more careful because I cared whether the
work got done right. So that's why I'm not a catalog librarian anymore.

http://www.doctohelp.com