RE: What tools are you using

Subject: RE: What tools are you using
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, "Technical Writing" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:43:44 -0600

Hi, Nancy --

I can fill you in on my list:

* PTM -- Personal Task Manager, http://ptm.sourceforge.net
<http://ptm.sourceforge.net> -- An easy time-tracking freeware tool
that's small, simple, customizable. I use it when preparing my weekly
time sheets and reporting billable jobs worked on, etc. It can even be
configured to estimate project times and compare actual vs. expected.
* Xobni -- www.xobni.com -- A freeware Outlook add-in that gives
me rapid, easy access to the most important information my contacts,
e-mail, and attachments, in a fraction of the time it used to take to
dig through stuff.
* Windows Desktop Search,
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/defaul
t.mspx -- A lot of this functionality is, I hear, more or less standard
in Vista, but for XP it greatly facilitates searching and finding
information not only in Outlook, but on the hard drive, and even on the
network.
* TaskSwitchXP Pro 2.0,
http://www.ntwind.com/software/taskswitchxp.html -- Replaces ALT+TAB's
functionality so that I see a visual thumbnail of each window and can
get where I need to be instantly. At this moment, I have nine windows
open. It's a lifesaver.
* Yankee Clipper, http://www.intelexual.com/products/index.aspx --
YC3 is a clipboard manager that allows me to cut and paste with ease to
even the hardest places and boilerplate things I use all the time, such
as the heading rows for my parts lists.
* xplorer2 Professional, http://www.zabkat.com -- There's a lite
version, too, but I use the Pro at work. As a file manager, it makes
Windows Explorer seem positively barren. xplorer2 lets me have tabbed
directory listings (I currently have 11 network locations open that I
can switch between on a moment's notice), easy copy and paste between
directories, easy batch command execution, great search flexibility.
With vital information scattered all over the network, it saves many
hours each week.
* Personal Communications Workstation Program (AS 400) Version 5.7
-- This is our interface with our mainframe.
* Proportion Wheel, http://www.plaino.com/tools/proportion_wheel/
-- In Vista-speak, this is a "widget" -- great for rapid, precise sizing
and scaling of images and graphics. More than 25 years ago, when I first
got started, these were universally found in the composing rooms of
newspapers. BTW, I'm using this on an XP workstation.
* WinPatrol, www.winpatrol.com -- Once again makes you the boss of
what starts on your computer and when.

When the post came across, the question was what software we were using
at the moment. I took that fairly literally and did not attempt to be
exhaustive. I will, however, mention the other programs in my shortcut
menu or my desktop shortcuts that I did not mention Friday:

* Windows Media Player
* Belarc Advisor
* eCleaner
* Paint.net
* Visual CD
* Inkscape
* Sync Back
* Scribus
* Stickies
* SnagIt 7
* PDF Exchange Viewer
* Roxio Creator DE
* The Gimp (with UFRaw)
* HP PhotoSmart Esssential
* iColor Folders
* QuickSilver 2.0 - USA
* Convert

I've also got the installer for Jing but haven't reached the point of
trying it yet.

Jim

From: techwr-l-bounces+jim -dot- pinkham=voith -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com