Re: "Sorry you're not the right fit" - After "all is fine" for 4 weeks

Subject: Re: "Sorry you're not the right fit" - After "all is fine" for 4 weeks
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 15:47:56 -0800 (PST)

Yes, somewhat similar. In the late 80s, I got a job through a recruiting agency with one of the largest companies in town. I was supposed to be a graphics designer in the "Corporate Communications" department. Basically that department did in-house white papers and newsletters, and they also did slide shows and flip charts and things like that when our company had meetings with investors and other companies and things like that. My new supervisor showed me to an empty office and then gave me a briefing on the company and what Corporate Communications (CC) did. She took me around the building and introduced me to several people I would have to interface with, and we spent some time doing the usual first-day things. My supervisor made sure to have me spend some time with the woman who was in charge of the department that produced the camera-ready proofs, whom I will call Glenda for the sake of this war story. Glenda was the person whose standards my work
would have to meet.

Once all that was done, my supervisor and I returned to my desk, and then she spent about 15 minutes outlining what she wanted from me. I was to design a trifold brochure about a new teleconferencing product the company was making. Once that was done, she told me to go get some lunch, then spend the rest of the day getting set up to work - getting what I needed in the way of equipment and supplies, get with the IT department to make sure I got a login and got an email account set up, etc. I did that. And before I went home for the day I checked my email just in case. There was an email from my new supervisor telling me to stay in touch with Glenda about my project, and letting me know that she, my new boss, was leaving the next morning for a business trip to France and she would be gone for the next two weeks.

I spent two weeks basically doing nothing. I didn't realize until it was too late that I had not been introduced to any of the technical-side people who could give me any information about the product I was supposed to cover in the brochure. I spent a lot of time just trying to find out who to talk to. Every time I tried to spend any time with Glenda or any of her people, they were always all too busy. I had never before been the only person working on an assignment, and I certainly had never expected to be just dropped into something like this. I could not get one minute of help on actually getting started trying to work on designs. All the production artists and copywriters and everyone in the production shops always pleaded overwork. I had not trie dto work closely with my new boss about what kind of draft material she wanted to see because I had never imagined she would just disappear on me like that. I could not find one person in CC who was
actually a designer or writer or any kind of production worker - the only other people I could find in CC were business types who spent all their time doing research on sales figures and things like that. All the scribbling and writing I did trying to knock together some semblance of a draft design, I could not find anyone else who was willing or able to give me any time on checking it out. All my emails to my new boss went unanswered.

About the middle of the second week I was outside on a smoke break, and I started talking with a man who was in the finance branch. I asked him what it was like to work for this company and the topic gradually came around to what I was doing (or, more accurately, wasn't doing). He asked me what I was supposed to be doing and who I worked for and I told him. When he heard her name, he laughed and said someting on the lines of "Oh, yeah. I wouldn't be surprised at some kind of empire building from her." He didn't explain the remark and he left before I could ask him anything more.

When new my boss got back, I could not get in contact with her - as far as I could tell she spent the entire time in meetings. For three days I sent her emails and got responses saying she was too busy right now and would have to contact me later. I spent three days hovering around her office door and the only times I caught sight of her was moving quickly from one room to the other with a group of other people. At the end of the third day after she got back, I got a phone call from the agency telling me the job was over because the client company had called them and said I was quote, "not doing well engough" end quote. I spent weeks calling and sending mail to that agency and I never got the slightest clue what the ! -at- $# happened.

Sometimes it really does have absolutely nothing to do with you. Such cases are usually characterized by your being unable to get any indication of the real reason they decided against you. In your case, most likey there was a fight going on behind the scenes that you never saw. Somebody wanted to keep you, and somebody else wanted to kick you out to make way for his candidate. You were the victim of corporate politics and your release had absolutely nothing to do with your competence or lack thereof.

The instant I read you referring to it as a "Stepford" company I was sure. the behavior you described is characteristic of a company run by capricious jerks. Ever see that Twilight Zone episode titled "Everything is Fine," where everyone in town always talks about how everything is wonderful and it's so nice to have ice cream and hot dogs for dinner every night, because they're afraid the kid with the telekinetic powers will zap them if they show even a little bit of discontent? The behavior you described told me everyone was terrified of losing their jobs at any second for the tiniest, incomprehensible reason. You are better off not being there. You'd wind up quitting under bad circumistances that would foul your future job search, or become a fear-driven android yourself. You're actually lucky in a way that you got the axe when you did.

Good luck avoiding such places in the future.