Re: "Sorry you're not the right fit" - After "all is fine" for 4 weeks

Subject: Re: "Sorry you're not the right fit" - After "all is fine" for 4 weeks
From: "Chris Morton" <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:32:05 -0800

Getting a call from a former acquaintance at HP, I left that company to
join a five-person training and documentation team—all contracted—at an
independent organization that runs the state electrical grid. They were
undergoing a multi-million dollar hardware and software migration, led by an
inexperienced manager who was wholly out of his depth.

Within a week our tenured sponsor quit due to the insanity, leaving our
departmental head with no interface with management. Try as he may over the
next several months, he could never get the green light to move forward.

At first I tried to appear busy, then it just became a complete farce. I
spent my days writing code to massage my ever-growing MP3 collection, all
the while feeling really lousy about the situation. Try as we may, we could
never get the go-ahead nor the time we needed with the SMEs, they being
all-important Ph.D.s with no time for techwriter peons. As a matter of fact,
they wouldn't even say "hi" in the hallway or restroom. It was a very
paranoid and downright hostile environment in which to work, I assure you.

The organization had a new CEO who was trying to make an impression, and had
already churned through several outside consultancy firms. The latest to
come in was Accenture, armed with their clipboards and spreadsheets, as
always. Meanwhile, the J2EE Web services upgrade was continuing to falter.

Soon we learned that our departmental head (a really great guy) got a call
over the weekend telling him not to report to work on Monday. Since they
wouldn't let him back in the secured building, his personal effects sat in a
box for several weeks until an admin eventually felt sorry and mailed them
to him. I didn't have to think twice about clearing out my cube and, sure
enough, my weekend call came about three weeks later. The only question I
have at this point, I think, is why they permitted me to hang out for a few
more weeks.

Hopefully I won't be adding a new installment to this saga; the events over
last weekend, and this morning, were very weird indeed!

I'm beginning to think that only 100% dysfunctional places would ever hire
me. Although my three years at HP was pleasant for the most part, I did have
issues there with a "girl's club" promoting "managers," they having no
personnel (only project) management qualifications. HP's review process was
(is?) so SNAFU that it was nothing more than a popularity contest, with no
real metrics upon which to base any useful performance evaluation.
(Hopefully that's now changed under CEO Mark Hurd's leadership).

http://www.doctohelp.com