RE: Telephone interviews

Subject: RE: Telephone interviews
From: "Jodie Gilmore" <jgilmor -at- pacifier -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:43:20 -0800

Hi. As a 100% telecommuter, I do phone interviews exclusively (for the last
10 years, anyway).
For the most recent contract, I had three phone interviews - the first with
a "non-manager" type tech writer, then with her manager, then with a
"techie" tech writer. I haven't had to do a face-to-face interview in quite
a while (but again, most of my work is for clients who aren't anywhere near
me, anyway).

Most of my meetings are also conference calls (sometimes with speaker
phones). This gives me practice in listening skills. Waiting a moment or
two, after the person is done speaking (perhaps), is a good technique.
Usually, during interviews (phone or face-to-face), I take notes and save my
questions until the end, when the interviewer usually asks "do you have any
questions?"

All the body language you would normally display during a personal interview
must be conveyed over the somewhat inadequate phone lines. So, not only
smile, but use words like "excited about this opportunity", some 'm-uhms' to
show you're listening and tracking the conversation, and even talk with your
hands - although they can't see you, the animation comes through in your
voice.

Develop a confident, friendly tone for answering the phone -- it is your
'first impression'.

I believe the "virtual" interview is here to stay (thank goodness, IMHO).
Maybe brush up on your professional speaking skills, as they are germaine.
Jodie Gilmore
Fulcrum Communications, LLC
Washougal, WA
www.fulcrumcomm.com

"Did you wake up this morning thinking the world wasn't going to be
different?"