RE: Telephone interviews

Subject: RE: Telephone interviews
From: "Keith Hansen" <KRH -at- weiland-wfg -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:24:53 -0600

In the past, I've often found telephone interviews very useful. As a job
seeker, it allows me to gather basic information about a job quickly and
easily. Very often, based on the information I gathered in the phone
interview, I've decided the job was not appropriate for me.... without
having to waste several hours dressing for a face-to-face interview,
driving to the interview, doing the interview, driving back, etc. It
can save time for both you and the potential employer.

Allow the phone interviewer to ask his/her questions first. But DO take
the opportunity to ask a few questions too. You certainly want to get a
general idea of the basic duties, responsibilities, and expectations for
the position.

For phone interviews, it's important to strike a balance. Asking too
much is bad (it seems like you are interrogating the interviewer)... and
asking too little is bad (seems like you're not interested in the job).

Most employers seem to regard the phone interview as a brief way of
gathering basic information on the applicant. It's then used to
determine whether an in-person interview should be scheduled.

Hope this helps...

Keith