Re: What about OLD computers??

Subject: Re: What about OLD computers??
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:43:24 +0000

On Wednesday, November 26, 2008, voxwoman wrote;

> Other than wiping with a large electromagnet, the data is
> recoverable by someone who is really determined.
---

You can securely erase a disk by overwriting it several times with
random bit patterns. AIUI, this is more secure than a large
electromagnet but the data might still be readable with sufficiently
sophisticated equipment. The only way to be sure is to wipe the disk,
remove the platters, saw the platters into several pieces, and dispose
of each piece in a different place.

This is why I suggested Freecycle - because the chances are that the
recipients wants the machines for their own use. Their personal
data will soon be all over those machines and it'll be that, rather
than yours, that gets recovered.

--
Geoff

http://www.doctohelp.com