Re: need recommendations for beginner-level TW books/textbooks and resources

Subject: Re: need recommendations for beginner-level TW books/textbooks and resources
From: "Lev Abramov" <lev -dot- abramov -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Erika Yanovich" <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:24:58 +0200

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Erika Yanovich <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com> wrote:

> What would be the advantage of your material to already existing frontal or
> online courses?
> Erika

well... YATWC. Yet Another Technical Writing Course. With a solid background
in online pedagogy, I expect the course to be pedagogically consistent
(which is far from being always the case: I have seen lots of courses
offering good materials at e-lecture level, but not enough in terms of
training = activities that ensure skill development and transfer).

I also expect the course to be almost entirely asynchronous to ensure it
fully utilizes the main advantage of e-learning - Anytime Anywhere. Many
courses either include residency requirements or too many synchronous
activities, which effectively neutralizes the above advantage.

Finally, I see this as an attempt to develop a course custom-tailored for a
specific population from the point of view of their mother tongue (some of
the participants are not native speakers of English) and future employment
perspectives.

So far, I have come across three titles that look promising:

Technical Writing: A Practical Approach, 5th Ed. (Pfeiffer, Paperback,
Prentice Hall)

Technical Writing: Process and Product, 4th Ed. (Illustrated) (Gerson,
Paperback, Prentice Hall)

Technical Writing: Principles, Strategies, and Readings, 5th Ed. (Reep,
Paperback, Longman Pub Group )

Any opinion about any one of these?

TIA -

Lev