How many warnings are too many?

Subject: How many warnings are too many?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: Technical Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, David Downing <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 09:40:34 -0500

David Downing wondered: <<This raises another question. At what point
do cautions and warnings become counterproductive because people start
dismissing them?>>

That's a great question. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any good
answer to it, since the answer is likely to vary among contexts. I've
certainly seen ample anecdotal evidence (and one or two mentions of
the problem in published studies on other topics -- though I'd be hard
pressed to find them again) that as in the fable of the boy who cried
wolf, warnings start being disregarded the moment they begin to seem
meaningless. If you tell someone to beware something, and nothing
happens, it's human nature to get a bit cocky and start ignoring the
risk. Similarly, people get numbed by an unending stream of dialogs;
after a time, people blindly click the OK button without actually
reading the dialog.

The larger question is more interesting: Why are we wasting our time
and endangering the user by creating warnings? We should never choose
to warn someone when we could, with a little (or a lot of) thought,
design the product to prevent the problem from arising in the first
place.

This can sometimes be surprisingly easy. For example, the whole notion
of the "Are you sure you want to delete this file?" dialog is
completely misguided: 99% of the time, of course we want to delete it!
In the unlikely event that we didn't, why don't you just delete the
file anyway instead of annoying us with a message, but instead of
removing the file so that even the NSA couldn't recover it, why not
put the deleted copy somewhere safe, where I can retrieve it in a few
days or a month if I want? Then clearly indicate in the docs, indexed
under at least three synonyms, how I can recover deleted files.

It can also be much, much harder. Some industrial equipment is simply
inherently dangerous, and there is no obvious (or inobvious) way to
protect the user completely. But in that case, warning messages again
miss the point. The better solution is rigorous training, and a very
clear product disclaimer: "This is a dangerous product, and we won't
sell it to you unless you receive accredited training in its use from
us or someone we've certified to do the job right." Yeah, like that'll
ever happen. <g> But if you think of other fields where human life is
at stake, the notion becomes more realistic: if doctors have to
recertify every few years to ensure they don't kill their patients,
why are the operators of dangerous machinery exempt from such a
requirement?

Bottom line: Though it's easy enough to meet some nominal standard
(e.g., OSHA labeling) for warning messages, stopping there is lazy and
possibly even unethical. We owe it to our miscellaneous audiences to
be cognizant of the risks they face, and to make strong efforts to
save them from themselves. That means questioning "best
practices" [sic] such as relying excessively on warnings, and thinking
more about how to prevent the problems in the first place.

Geoff Hart (www.geoff-hart.com)
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/books/eoe/onscreen-book.htm)

http://www.doctohelp.com