Re: FWD: Salary, Negotiation, and Salary Requirement/Total Compensation

Subject: Re: FWD: Salary, Negotiation, and Salary Requirement/Total Compensation
From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 09:32:31 -0600

From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Subject: Re: FWD: Salary, Negotiation, and Salary Requirement/Total
Compensation

To the person who experienced this: The only thing that really matters
here is, that company is trying to screw you.

He dropped that figure on you and then didn't have time to discuss it?
"Conference call" my aching left hind foot. I know a squeeze play when I
hear one.

Do not work for people who try to screw you. If they'll pull this
blatant bait-and-switch nonsense now, what kind of atrocities will they
try later? Turn in your notice and start looking for a new job
immediately.

Even if you wind up working in an entirely different field, you'll be
better off working for a company that does not try to cheat you.

------------------------------------

Thinking about this a little more, one thing that particularly bothers
me is that they used the argument, "I didn't know you were thinking [x].
I thought you were thinking [y]." In this case, it was, "I didn't know
you were thinking of salary. I thought you were thinking of total
compensation. I've had this argument used on me -- although not in a
business situation -- and it's both very underhanded and very
irritating, because you *know* the person isn't being straight with you,
but you can't prove it, because there's no way to prove what somebody
else did or didn't know. In personal relationships, we all have to
resign ourselves to people doing this sort of thing, but in business
relationships, I think you have the right to expect more honesty.

http://www.doctohelp.com