RE: Enabling Web-based PDFreviews

Subject: RE: Enabling Web-based PDFreviews
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:02:55 -0500

Suzette Leeming wrote (in part):> I want to set up web-based reviews of these PDFs. More and more, we're
> finding we can benefit from having a "team" review PDFs.The neat thing is
> that they would be able to see each other's comments/changes. Our users only
> have Adobe Reader.
>
> The online help in Acrobat stated that using LiveCycle Reader extensions,
> this could be done. This morning I found out that information is incorrect.
>
> Is there anyone on the list who is using web-based PDF reviews, in
> particular where the users only have Reader? We've already set up a WebDAV
> enabled server, so we're good on that point, but I wasted a lot of time
> chasing down Reader Extensions (and all for naught!). Any advice/help other
> can give me would be greatly appreciated.

There is one fundamental gotcha that is stated in a low-key way in several
places in the Acrobat documentation. Probably the clearest expression is in
the topic "Setting up a browser-based review". In the documentation for
Acrobat Professional 7.0 (which is what our team is still uisng) it says:

Important: Reviewers must use Acrobat 6.0 or later to participate in
a browser-based review. Adobe Reader 7.0 users may participate only
if additional usage rights are added to the PDF document using an Adobe
server product, such as Adobe Document Server or Adobe Reader
Extensions Server.
In other words, to be able to do a web-based review when the reviewers only
have the Reader tool, you must buy an Adobe server product with a multi-kilobuck
price tag. Or you could spend a similar amount equipping all reviewers with the
full Acrobat Professional product rather than the free Reader. Adobe only likes
to give away basic PDF functionality for free; advanced PDF functionality has
to be paid for one way or another.

-Fred Ridder

http://www.doctohelp.com