RE: "Opportunistic"

Subject: RE: "Opportunistic"
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Stuart Burnfield" <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>, "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:00:20 -0500

The first definition of opportunism in my copy of The Concise Oxford
says:
the adaptation of policy or judgement to circumstances or opportunity,
esp. regardless of principle.

It's the final phrase that's key to the tone.
Put that up next to the Golden Rule (treat others as you would have them
treat you), and you see why it has negative connotation.

So, "enterprising" is a good choice.

But, I see nothing at all wrong with taking advantage of a situation for
my benefit - that's being enterprising. If you had said something about
"to the disadvantage of third parties who had never given cause" (or
similar), then I'd have agreed with your definition of opportunistic.

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com