Re: I had say it because I was afraid no one else would.

Subject: Re: I had say it because I was afraid no one else would.
From: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Boudreaux, Madelyn (GE Healthcare, consultant)" <MadelynBoudreaux -at- ge -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 17:00:56 -0500

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Boudreaux, Madelyn (GE Healthcare,
consultant) <MadelynBoudreaux -at- ge -dot- com> wrote:

> On Behalf Of Avery Krycek:
> >For what it's worth, I think he's clearly talking about technology
> >* journalists*, not people like us.......
>
> I thought so too, at first, But reading down, I get to this:
>
> "Enable. Who on earth says, "Enable the GPS function"? Only user-manual
> writers and computer-book authors. Say "Turn on GPS" instead."

"Yeah, man. I handed the doobie to the GPS, but it just said 'No'."

Either that or "Turn on GPS" would be something I'd expect to *hear* from my
GPS, if the road I needed to turn on was, in fact, "GPS Boulevard."

I also think you'll get unpredictable (or hilarious) results when trying to
translate "turn on GPS" into other languages. That's probably where the
Engrish "Excite the GPS" instructions come from.

> Clearly, he's switched from picking on PC World writers (in the rant
> about using "display".)
>
> I think some of his observations are right on, especially in talking
> about technology journalists. But I choose not to use the magical
> "appear" and the imprecise "turn on" for reasons that, I'm afraid, his
> explanations completely miss.

Meh. I'll bet we are all making way more than he is. :P

-Wendy

http://www.doctohelp.com