RE: I had say it because I was afraid no one else would.

Subject: RE: I had say it because I was afraid no one else would.
From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 08:34:03 -0600

From: "Sarah Stegall" <sstegall -at- bivio -dot- net>

The English language does not belong to one company, it
belongs to all of us. No one person or body of persons has the right to
arbitrarily re-define words, make up words, or change words. Nothing,
and I mean NOTHING that I have encountered in more than a dozen years in
this business pisses me off more than the arrogance of marketing
departments that freely and obliviously play hob with a thousand year
old
language--of which they are, largely, ignorant.

I don't know that it's a matter of anybody trying to *own* the English
language, but rather to *augment* it to suit their needs. As others have
said, this is a common, ongoing practice

However, I would make the distinction between augmenting it and
corrupting it because you don't know how to use it properly. I agree
with everyone who hates to see improper use of the language become
acceptable because everybody does it.

http://www.doctohelp.com