RE: I had to say it because I was afraid no one else would

Subject: RE: I had to say it because I was afraid no one else would
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>, "Blount, Patricia A" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 11:45:00 -0500

About the term "graceful" as applied to aspects of the operation of
electronic systems, Leonard C. Porrello responded to Patricia:
> Industry standard yes, but it nevertheless evokes the image of a
> ballerina flittering around a computer, gracefully pressing
> buttons and
> keys between pirouettes, plies, and arabesques.
>
> For reasons you may be able to guess, we've recently changed "Graceful
> shutdown" to "Normal shutdown."

That's all very fine if that's what you mean.

However, many systems have various modes of shutting down / being shut
down and resuming operation afterward.

"Normal" implies expected, as in the everyday, usual course of events.

I believe the original discussion point was "graceful recovery", and the
point of that terminology was that a system is sufficiently robust that
it can recover with minimum intervention and minimum damage when it is
subjected to other-than-normal stoppage.

"Awright, who kicked the power cord again?!"
or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com