Wiki as a final output of the documentation?

Subject: Wiki as a final output of the documentation?
From: Lech Rzedzicki <xchaotic -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 21:22:41 +0100

I am likely to be tasked with updating and revising some documentation which
is currently stored in a wiki in a chaotic form.
My task would be be to improve on the structre, usability etc and I know
exactly what to do to make it better.
However, I fear, that if I keep the final output in a wiki, it will quickly
deteriorate into it's old, chaotic and poor form.
Instead, I would like to write up a set of tasks in DITA, structure it
nicely and publish it on a web page.
Should the documentation need updating (which would likely be very soon), I
would want to trigger a defect in bug tracking/version control sstem that
they use for software being documented.
So my idea would be a more static HTML output from DITA rather than wiki,
but what this means is a lot more complicated process than what is in place
right now - i.e. just updating wiki.

What are your thoughts on this, which is likely to better in the long run?

Regards, Lech

http://www.doctohelp.com