RE: Qualifications for an off shore writer?

Subject: RE: Qualifications for an off shore writer?
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Keith Hood" <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:24:49 -0800

While the first sentence was tongue in cheek, I ultimately intended
neither a joke nor an insult. Knowledge of grammar and usage comes only
through education (formal or informal). And as you illustrate by the
umbrage you took to what I wrote, you yourself believe that someone who
uses "poor" grammar and usage is less than intelligent. Consequently, as
in your first message, I see a contradiction. In your first message, you
disparage education, but you do so using perfect grammar and usage-which
comes only from education. In your second message, you indicate (by
tone) that you were offended by what I wrote-and the only grounds for
that is that what I wrote sounded uneducated.

Where education is defined as, "the act or process of ... acquiring
general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and
generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature
life," education does make people smarter. Education is to the mind what
good diet, aerobics, and weight training are to the body. This, at
least, is the classical view. In contrast, the Romantic view lauds man
in a "state of nature," uncorrupted by the influences of culture and
"edumacation."

From: Leonard C. Porrello <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Keith Hood" <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L"
Date: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 7:42 PM

Didn't you mean, "Edumacation ain't make you none smarter"? Even so,
where "education" is, "the act or process of ... acquiring general
knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and
generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature
life," isn't the statement a bit of an oxymoron?

Leonard