Re: Exempt status for Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Exempt status for Tech Writers
From: Ed <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Stephen Arrants <steve -at- mbfbioscience -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 05:43:51 -0500

Very well said, Stephen.

My own experience with exempt status is mixed. My salary is about 25%
lower than hourly wage paid to temporary writers brought in last year.
On one hand I have two weeks vacation. On the other hand I have 10
sick days, which I must offset with additional hours worked. In each
of the last three years there has been a small but noticeable decline
in benefits.

One troubling trend is that the employer bills the gov't for hours
booked over 40, but you don't get the money. Ethically I have a
problem with that. I think that is a good example of why technical
writers should be classified as non-exempt.

In the final analysis, I have a job in the defense industry, and the
temporary writers in our office have gone elsewhere. I am thankful for
that.

Ed

http://www.doctohelp.com