Re: Exempt status for Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Exempt status for Tech Writers
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 07:45:39 -0800

My "angle" is that I'm trying to make the point (apparently without much
success) that in the context of a discussion bearing the title of "Exempt status
for Tech Writers," the words "non-exempt/exempt/hourly/salary/professional" have
very specific meanings in federal and state labor laws: they determine the
method an employer is required to use to calculate if and how the hours worked
by a direct employee *in the current pay period* affect that employee's *next
paycheck.* Yes, many employers bill their customers for their employees'
services by the hour, and yes, most employers use some sort of staffing ROI
calculation to determine the value of an employee's time, whether it is worth
the expense of hiring or keeping that employee and how much to budget for that
employee, but none of these are used to calculate if and how the hours worked by
that direct employee *in the current pay period* affect that employee's *next
paycheck,* and they are irrelevant to a discussion bearing the title of "Exempt
status for Tech Writers," . The same is true for how being called a
"professional" or not affects an employee's self image or social status in the
world, or how people who are not direct employees under state or federal labor
laws happen to bill their time.

Gene Kim-Eng