What is there is "Donkey Work" you prefer to do yourself? WAS: Someone to do the "donkey work"? (take II)

Subject: What is there is "Donkey Work" you prefer to do yourself? WAS: Someone to do the "donkey work"? (take II)
From: Evelyn Lee Barney <evbarney -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Michael West <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 16:08:46 -0500

Once upon a time, I worked for a small It department at a community
college, and worked on both hardware and software issues. I've become
like one of those people who prefers to do basic mechanics on their own
car, and only goes to a garage when they've exhausted their own skills.
To me, having someone work on my computer is either a waste of time and
money, or, worse, like having someone rearrange your kitchen for you.
It may look great, but good luck finding anything!

Twice now, I've had computer issues that I fixed myself (I work from
home on my own equipment about 90% of the time) One of those times, it
did delay my work, however, I don't believe any more so than if I'd
brought my system to the shop; likely less. And, I recovered and
indexed my files to my own liking as I went along rather than having
to re-do it after someone else had fixed the main problem, which also
saved time.

The problem is that my boss feels that doing this work myself is beneath
me. She wanted me to have the work done by others and then submit
receipts for reimbursement. I don't add the time this takes me to my
reported hours, so that's not it. It's just a bias she has.

The only way I can think to handle this in the future is not to say I
did the work myself. But, even though it's silly of me, I wish she's
just understand that this is how I am - and believe me when I say that
1) I prefer doing it myself (Mother, PLEASE!) and 2) understand that I
am saving time, money, and (my own) aggravation.

I know it's hard to tell, since you don't know my boss or my
organization, but do any of you think I'm missing something here?

Ev

http://www.doctohelp.com