RE: Serious follow-up to the automated telephone system thing

Subject: RE: Serious follow-up to the automated telephone system thing
From: "Downing, David" <david -dot- downing -at- fiserv -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>, "John Posada" <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 13:14:04 -0500

Actually, I've encountered some system that do at least give the
appearance of asking an open-ended question. They'll say something like,
"Please tell me briefly why you're calling," and possibly offer some
suggestions as to how to respond. I'm sire that what's happening is that
the system is listening for any of a number of keywords -- e.g.,
"benefits," "billing," - and sending the flow of control along one of
several branches, depending on what keyword it hears, but the effect
from the end-user's perspective is to be able to give a free-form
response.

Something else I find helpful in one of these systems is the ability to
stack your commands. That way, if you're using a system you know, you
can just go BEEP, BOOP, BEEP, BEEP without having to listen to all the
choices.

David Downing
Senior Technical Writer
Credit Union Solutions