Re: getting experience with expensive tools

Subject: Re: getting experience with expensive tools
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 15:16:25 -0700

I do all my trial testing on MS Virtual PCs. I have a default virtual PC
fileset that I copy-paste to form new ones as needed. I've had too many
experiences with trial and beta programs that not only didn't work well but took
the PC they were running on down with them.

I've never done it, but I suppose one could just keep creating new virtual PCs
and keep reinstalling a trial on it as it expires. If the trial license doesn't
limit the user to installing on a single computer, it might not even violate the
trial license (I look for terms that specify "install" or "operate;" "use" is a
meaningless term to me where a trial is concerned, because if all I'm trying to
do is figure out how the bloody thing works I'm not getting any "use" out of it
at all).

However, I don't even think about extending trials, because if a SW trial is not
sufficiently simple to use that I can actually find my way around well enough to
become productive with it before the trial expires (and that *includes* the fact
that I may only have enough spare time to put in a few hours a week on testing),
then I'm not going to buy it. SW companies that base their trial limitations on
the number of sessions that can be run or the number of times a working file can
be saved fare much better when trying to sell things to me than those that count
calendar days.

Gene Kim-Eng