Re: Hey! She messed with *my* manual

Subject: Re: Hey! She messed with *my* manual
From: Kathleen MacDowell <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: "Downing, David" <david -dot- downing -at- fiserv -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:38:11 -0500

It probably depends on the situation whether I'd feel a twinge.

I think there are circumstances when the original writer should be consulted
or asked to review. For example, if she/he knew the product best, it would
be a good idea to check back before making substantive changes, especially
if a jr. writer is doing the editing. A lot depends on the company process
too.

I also think that when multiple authors are working on documentation, the
original writer should be consulted about content edits.

But you know how it is, most of us are sensitive about/protective of our
writing, whether we're an engineer or a writer. Sometimes that's a good
thing, especially when it reflects a committment to quality and making sure
the company looks good.

Regards,

Kathleen

--