RE: Grammar

Subject: RE: Grammar
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "David Hailey" <david -dot- hailey -at- usu -dot- edu>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:13:10 -0500

It seems to me, David, that you use "grammar" here in a way that could
be construed as interchangeable with "style," and I'm not sure that
blurring that distinction is altogether helpful. I'm inclined to think
of grammar as more normative, and style as more preference.

Also, while conceding that grammar evolves, and necessarily must because
language evolves -- and further conceding that this development of the
language is accelerating ever more swiftly -- I'm not quite willing to
accept the thesis that grammar is purely descriptive rather than
proscriptive. I'd submit that grammar rules facilitate our common
understanding as we communicate. If grammar merely describes, rather
than guides, just how much utility does it really have?

Just my two cents. Back to lurkdom.

Jim