Re: The time to start networking is before you lose your job

Subject: Re: The time to start networking is before you lose your job
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Technical Writing" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 14:00:59 -0700

My experience has been that the best time to network is when you need
nothing and may instead be in a position to be of help to others. It
could be something as simple and effortless as just forwarding emails
from recruiters about job openings to people you know who might be able
to make use of them when you're not looking, not qualified or just not
interested, or as time-consuming as going to meetings and happy hour
events where you encounter people who are looking, handing out your
business card, collecting resumes "just in case" and generally being
willing to give advice where you can offer any that may do some good.
Sometimes it may even involve referring potential clients who contact
you about work when you're busy to others, even if you could have kept
them on the hook for a while until you finished your current contract.

Yes, it's a more effective way to make and maintain contacts for when
you need them, but you will also feel a whole lot better about yourself
as a person and a member of a profession than you will when things go
bad for you and you find yourself having to send out messages to let
people know that it's now your time to be looking. That's one
opportunity in life I try never to pass up.

Gene Kim-Eng